These made a divine breakfast, especially when paired with a rich black tea or strong, bold coffee.
Be warned though; they disappear fast.
This post is being re-posted as an entry in the 30 Minutes or Less category of the So Delicious contest Fast and Fresh Time Trials Recipe Contest. They seriously make the best coconut milk, and this is a startlingly fast and easy recipe to make!
Gluten-Free Vegan Nutmeg Chocolate Doughnuts
yields 1-1/2 dozen donuts
2 cups gluten-free flour (I used 1 cup brown rice flour, 1/2 cup oat flour, 1/4 cup tapioca flour and 1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour)
1/4 cup raw cacao powder + 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder (or 1/2 cup cocoa powder)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup coconut palm sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup coconut milk (I used So Delicious Unsweetened Vanilla Coconut Milk)
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 390 degrees and lightly grease a doughnut pan with coconut oil.
2. Sift flour, cacao, baking powder and salt. Stir in the rest of the dry ingredients.
3. In another bowl, whisk wet ingredients. (Melt oil before adding).
4. Combine wet and dry ingredients, stirring just until combined.
5. Fill doughnut pan 3/4 of the way full.
6. Bake for 6-9 minutes or until they are slightly puffed and not gooey in the center. Be careful not to over-bake.