Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Banana Pumpkin Cake


chocolate pumpkin banana cake

Denby Cake-Off Cake


For this year's Denby Cake-Off, I wanted to create a healthy, light cake that tastes quite decadent yet could be suitable for dessert, tea or even breakfast (but perhaps, skip the frosting for your breakfast cake...or not!)

As my pregnancy due date grows nearer, I've found myself baking more and more as if I will never again have the chance.  I do look forward to baking with my twin girls though when they are a bit older, and I'd like to think creating and enjoying a (healthy-ish) cake together could be a fab tradition. For now though, I'm taking advantage of my remaining weeks by inventing (and sampling) recipes and savoring my quiet moments with tea and a treat.  Side note: this cake tastes especially good with an almond milk decaf chai latte--I had almost finished mine before I realized I should include it in the photo, so no, it's not just a prop!

vegan gluten-free pumpkin chocolate cake


Banana Pumpkin Cake
(Gluten-Free, Vegan, and Nut-Free)

Ingredients:

2 overripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup coconut palm sugar or other unrefined sugar
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1-1/4 cup gluten-free all purpose flour or flour of choice
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/3 cup nondairy mini chocolate chips

Frosting Ingredients:

1/2 cup nondairy butter
2 cups organic powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:

1.  Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/350 degrees Fahrenheit and line an 8" square pan with parchment paper or spritz with oil.
2.  Mix bananas, pumpkin, sugar, water and vinegar together; set aside.
3.  Sift gluten-free flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt together, and then fold into wet mixture.
4.  Stir in chocolate chips, reserving 2 tablespoons to sprinkle on top.
5.  Bake for 30 minutes or until batter has set and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
6.  Cool on a wire rack and frost if desired once fully cooled.

healthy pregnancy cake


Frosting Directions:

1.  Whip nondairy butter and powdered sugar together until creamy and light.
2.  Add cinnamon and vanilla, continuing to beat until texture is creamy and spreadable.
3.  Garnish with additional chocolate chips as desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment