Tuesday, June 18, 2013

healthy treats for your puppy friends...or furbabies, if you will

 

My baking is not just limited to people food; I also like to bake treats for Yogi and Zeke (and Clyde and Kumo, my twin's dogs, Cami and Tessa, my parents' dogs, Lady, the in-laws' dog, and the list goes on and on).  Basically this recipe has been approved by several different standard poodles, a couple golden-doodles, a mix of unknown origin from a shelter in Texas, and several others.  (Yogi makes a lot of friends, definitely way more than me).

It all started when I saw a cookie cutter shaped like a fire hydrant, and thought it was the cutest little thing.  Since then, I've discovered that I love making healthy cookies for our dogs; I know exactly whats in it, and it's a healthy, organic and non-processed way to reward them.  Plus I'm pretty sure they love them more than any other packaged treat I've bought home.

Yogi enjoys the remnants of one treat

Yogi's friends Tessa, Kumo and Cami, who also enjoy my cookies

Yogi and Clyde
I never follow a recipe, just mix the following ingredients until the desired consistency is reached (combined, not too dry and not too sticky, so that it is easy to roll out).


Here's the approximate recipe:

Yogi Treats

Ingredients
1-1/2 cups organic whole wheat pastry flour (gluten-free would work as well if your pups can't handle gluten)
 2 cups oats
1 cup peanut or almond butter
1/4 cup molasses
3 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup wheat germ
water, as needed to reach that not-too-sticky consistency

Directions

Roll dough out on floured surface, cut out shapes with cookie cutter of your choice.  (I like to use several different bone sizes, a fire hydrant, and a little gingerbread house that I pretend is a doghouse).

Bake 10-12 minutes on greased or lined cookie sheets or until bottoms are golden and fully baked.  Let cool and store in an airtight container to maintain freshness.  These also freeze well if you opt to make a bunch at once.

Yogi and Zeke approved

Totally an easy and fast recipe, and they smell delicious.  If you like bland treats, you might want one, too! ;)

my taste-testers, taking a nap

No comments:

Post a Comment