Monday, January 6, 2014

Vegan Carrot Muffins





Oh, carrots.  You are so delicious, and so good for me.  I've always loved baking with carrots, and the most amazing ones are the sweet and crunchy ones fresh from my mom's vegetable garden, though organic carrots from any grocery store will also suffice.

Somehow I seem to either have no carrots or about 5 lbs of them, so this recipe was thrown together just to use up carrots, and it turned into surprisingly delicate and fluffy little carrot muffins.  (In fact, they disappeared within the hour amongst several siblings, and I am now tempted to make them again).  They are great for a breakfast muffin, and keep well for a couple days in an airtight container, although they seem to vanish too fast for storage, usually.  I've learned when my brothers are around that if I want to enjoy my own baking, I have to hide them in the back of the freezer or actually in my kitchenaid mixer underneath the paddles.  (I am confident they never read my blog, so hopefully my hidey place is still safe).




Vegan Carrot Muffins

Ingredients:

1-1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cloves (opt)
2-1/2 cups carrots, shredded
2 tablespoons flax meal plus 6 tablespoons water (or chia seeds)
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray muffin tin with nonstick spray.
2.  Sift together flour, baking soda, powder, salt and spices.
3.  In a small bowl, set aside flaxmeal and water to thicken.
4.  In a larger bowl, whisk oil, vanilla, maple syrup and carrots.
5.  Fold dry ingredients into wet. Divide batter into 12 muffin cups and bake for 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool a minute or two before transferring muffins to a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment