I had a hard time getting out of bed this morning (starting at 27 weeks exactly my body seems to be expanding and aching like crazy. Hopefully this is just a good sign the twins are growing healthy and strong!) Instead of making it to my usual Tuesday morning routine of aqua aerobics and 30 minutes of lap swimming, I decided to have a healthy breakfast and walk the dogs. I did in fact have a very healthy breakfast--sweet pea greens and leafy greens with snap peas and an egg with broccoli....and then half an hour later I was sheepishly whipping up a very birthday-ish breakfast: pancakes with sprinkles!
Why not? Though they look and taste decadent, they are a healthy pancake option and the only sweetness comes from applesauce and the bit of sprinkles (I highly recommend the gluten-free vegan organic kind without nasty artificial colors and sweeteners). They are also super light and fluffy thanks to the lemon-nondairy milk mixture which imitates buttermilk nicely.
For a fast, yummy and fun breakfast (I'm adding this to my list of fun kid friendly food for when our girls are older), try this recipe! Kids and adults will love this, and I do think it would be a great holiday, birthday or hey, random Tuesday treat!
Gluten-Free Sprinkled Pancakes
yields 8-10 small pancakes
1 cup gluten-free oat flour (aka finely ground gf oats)
1 tablespoon baking powder (corn-free like this Hain Pure Foods Featherweight Baking Powder, 8 Ounce)
sprinkle of sea salt
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice + enough coconut or almond milk to make 3/4 cup
1 egg or egg substitute for vegan version ( Ener-G Egg Replacer or chia mixture)
2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2-4 tablespoons gluten-free organic sprinkles
1. Squeeze lemon juice (approximately 2-3 teaspoons) into a measuring cup and fill with nondairy milk until it totals 3/4 cup. Stir and set aside to thicken slightly.
2. Finely grind gluten-free oats in a food processor or coffee grinder until it resembles flour.
3. Add baking powder and sea salt to oat flour, whisk and set aside.
4. Mix egg or egg substitute of choice into "buttermilk" followed by applesauce and extracts then pour this into the dry mixture, stirring until combined.
5. Gently fold gluten-free organic vegan sprinkles (I love Let's Do Organic Sprinkelz Organic Confetti Sprinkles) into pancake batter.
6. Heat a griddle or pan, spritz with oil of choice and portion out 1/4 cup of batter per pancake.
Once bubbles form and it is set, flip and cook another two minutes, until pancakes are golden and fluffy.
7. Serve plain, with syrup, honey or applesauce and additional sprinkles.