Sunday, August 10, 2014

Sorghum Oat Granola with Goji Berries and Raisins




When I came across a couple of whole grain sorghum in my pantry, I decided on a whim to make granola.  The first time I did it, I googled "sorghum granola" and only discovered granola sweetened with sorghum.  No matter, I thought.  Since you can "pop" sorghum, I figured I could stir it into granola and it would fluff itself up into chewy kernels.

Nope.

What happens is you have a granola with what tastes like little pebbles in it.  Fail.  This time I soaked the grains, then cooked them as I would quinoa; stovetop with water.  The cooked sorghum was then stirred into the granola and baked.  A warning is to test the granola after 20 minutes.  Catch it before it is too browned; you don't want that tricky sorghum to dry out too much.  Let cool completely and then store in an airtight container.  And voila, sorghum granola!  Sorghum just may be the new quinoa...you heard that here first!



Sorghum Oat Granola with Goji Berries and Raisins

Ingredients:

1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 cups gluten-free oats
2 to 3 cups cooked sorghum
1 cup sunflower seeds
2 teaspoons vanilla
drizzle of coconut nectar
drizzle of coconut or olive oil
1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup goji berries
1 cup raisins


Directions:

1.  COOK SORGHUM.  Oh my gosh, I can't stress that enough unless you want to break a tooth on some hard pellets.
2.  Stir all ingredients together except goji and raisins (add them after baking).
3.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Bake up to 20 more minutes as needed; remove from oven when oats start to turn lightly golden.  Add berries and raisins last.

No comments:

Post a Comment