Thursday, September 11, 2014

Pumpkin Cacao Brownies


 


I know, I know.  It's not quite autumn, but still, the pumpkin craving is hitting.  Since I discovered a can of organic pumpkin in my cupboard, I haven't been able to stop thinking about pumpkin...everything.  Breads, muffins, cookies, raw bars--I can't get enough.  I might go as far as to say my favorite thing about fall is pumpkin.  Yup. I would definitely say that.

This brownie had to be tinkered with a bit.  Upon first bite, my husband replied "Umm good but a little too earthy," which is his way of suggesting it could use some work.  The result is a chocolatey pumpkin dessert that is not too sweet, but the honey is still a must.  (Or maple syrup for very strict vegans).  Enjoy with the optional spicy sweet pumpkin topping, and you too will be immediately stoked for fall.

Hello, September!


Pumpkin Cacao Brownies

Ingredients:

3/4 cup pumpkin
1/4 cup + 2 TBSP raw honey or maple syrup
2 eggs (or 2 flax "eggs")
2 TBSP raw cacao powder or 3 TBSP cocoa
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
sprinkle sea salt
1 cup gluten-free flour
optional: 1/3 cup nondairy chocolate chips or raw cacao nibs

Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease or line an 8" square pan.
2.  Whisk wet ingredients, and fold the dry ingredients into wet, folding the optional chips in last.
3.  Bake for 35-38 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.




Serve plain or top with:

pureed pumpkin
cinnamon
raw honey or syrup

Stir the pumpkin, honey and spice together to form a "frosting" and spread across a brownie.  Sprinkle with additional cacao nibs.








No comments:

Post a Comment