Monday, May 4, 2015

Switching it Up with Cookie Dough Overnight Oats


healthy cookie dough overnight oats at the beach

Trying something new can benefit you in several ways.  Trying a new food or experiences or yes, even a workout can be invigorating as well as inspire confidence.  A sense of accomplishment from creating a new recipe or producing a nutritious meal can be very rewarding.  Finding a new way to get your heart rate up or giving your muscles a change of pace can produce renewed energy and even spark creativity.

I know when I'm in a rut or having a hard time staying focused, a brisk walk or jog can sometimes jumpstart my creativity.  In this recent case, I decided to do my own solo little spin class--something I never do on my own.  It was surprisingly fun, and a good way to mix up my routine.  I gave myself permission to do whatever I felt like in the gym, and it turned into a crazy, random 15 minute solo spin session followed by a few made up plyometric routines--and I had a blast.  Sometimes when you let your body do what only what it feels like (and that includes resting!) the results can be very rewarding.


Speaking of a rut, sometimes I realize I've had the same thing for breakfast for a week, and I have a strong urge to mix it up and try something new.  This is where the "cookie dough" overnight oats came in: this recipe is delicious and almost like dessert.  If you like oatmeal cookies, you'll love this.  
Thinking of switching up your routine even more?  Take your breakfast outdoors!  Enjoy your meal on a park bench or by the seaside and see how it feels to eat whilst savoring nature and inhaling fresh air.  You might be surprised you don't need that coffee to jumpstart your day after all!


"Cookie Dough" Overnight Oats
yields 2 servings




Ingredients:

1 cup gluten-free oats
1 cup vanilla unsweetened coconut milk
2 tablespoon sunflower seed butter
3/4 teaspoon organic cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon organic lucuma powder(optional)*
2 teaspoons ground chia seeds (optional)
1/4 cup raisins
dash sea salt

optional: for a sweeter version, add 2 tablespoons of maple syrup

Directions:

1.  Whisk all ingredients together, then store in a sealed container for at least 2 hours in the fridge, or up to overnight.

whisk nondairy milk and sunflower seed butter


I added cinnamon and lucuma powder and sea salt!

whisk overnight oats
I added raisins but currants or chopped dried figs are also great!
2.  Make it your own!  Eat as is, or add cacao nibs or chocolate chips for a true "cookie dough" taste/texture.

Store mixture in a closed container as you chill it: I used a simple glass jar cup with a screw on lid, but tupperware also works.

chilling cookie dough jar


overnight oats

healthy cookie dough

healthy cookie dough


If you'd like it sweeter, drizzle on raw honey or maple syrup.  Enjoy cold!

*What's Lucuma?  Lucuma is a subtropical fruit native to Peru, Chile and Ecudaor that is low-glycemic yet very sweet.  In a powdered form, it can easily be added to cereals, smoothies, granolas: anything you'd like to sweeten naturally.  It can partially or fully replace added sweeteners in many recipes.  It also provides calcium, potassium, iron, magnesium, fiber and protein to list a few of its' healthy contributions to your diet.

By the way, most of these ingredients are found on Vitacost.com; they have tons of organic ingredients and ship in one day, which is hard to beat.  If you sign up through this link, you'll receive a $10 off coupon, and when you're order ships, I'll get a $10 coupon too--it's a win-win for both of us, and I'll have a reason to buy even more delicious organic ingredients to play with.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete