Friday, November 22, 2013

...and Pumpkin Apple Muffins!



My "little" brother in the background reads the newspaper next to a pile of these breakfast muffins


I'll switch it up soon, I swear!  My fresh pumpkin supply is dwindling...
I wanted a lazy, easy breakfast muffin for my family, and since we all know I have an obscene amount of pureed pumpkin to use, I decided to create a muffin that I could pack in as much pumpkin as possible while still keeping it airy and not too moist.  I also had a soft golden apple to use up, so if you're like me and prefer less sugar in general, omit or reduce the sugar.

Another healthy option: substitute part of the pumpkin for unsweetened applesauce.  This will also sweeten the batter.  Pumpkin itself as well as the spices lend sweetness, so make this recipe to your taste!

Alternately, fold in some cacao nibs or nondairy chocolate chunks for a really yummy dessert option.


Pumpkin Apple Muffins
Yields 1-1/2 dozen medium muffins

2-1/4 cups pumpkin
1/2 cup nondairy milk
1 egg or egg substitution such as chia seeds or flax
1/4 cup nondairy butter or coconut oil, melted
3 cups gluten-free flour (suggested combination is 1 cup coconut flour, 1 cup almond flour or brown rice flour, 1/2 cup quinoa or sorghum flour and 1/4 cup tapioca flour)
1/2 to scant 3/4 cup raw cane sugar or coconut palm sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon baking powder
sprinkle of sea salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 ripe peeled and diced apple


Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease muffin tins.
2.  Pour all wet (first 4 ingredients) into a large mixing bowl, and fold in dry ingredients just until combined.
3.  Fold in peeled and diced granny smith or golden apple.
4.  Spoon batter into muffin tins, filling up all the way.  Bake about 20-24 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.



No comments:

Post a Comment