My Orange Cacao Muffins are a light, zesty recipe made allergen-free with the greatness that is So Delicious Coconut Milk. Thus, another So Delicious recipe contest entry, this time for the Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest that can be seen here at Go Dairy Free. This is the first of five entries for the contest, and I encourage you to try them all!
The texture and refreshing taste make these muffins the perfect spring breakfast or treat, and won't set you back for the summer beach body maybe about to make its' debut ;)
Orange Cacao Muffins
1 cup oat flour
1/2 cup quinoa flour
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 medium orange, juiced
2 teaspoons orange zest
3/4 cup So Delicious Vanilla Unsweetened Coconut Milk
2 tablespoons flax meal mixed with 6 tablespoons water
1/3 cup coconut palm sugar
1/2 cups oats, soaked and drained
1/2 cup nondairy chocolate chips (or cacao nibs)
2-3 tablespoons cacao nibs for topping
raw honey and extra juice for glaze
1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease or line a muffin tin.
2. Prepare your flax "eggs" by mixing the flax meal with water and letting it stand for 5 minutes to thicken. Any other egg substitute of your choice will work as well.
3. Soak oats in warm water, drain and combine all ingredients.
4. Divide batter into muffin tins, and top with cacao nibs. Bake 16-20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
5. Optional glaze (I recommend it as it helps them maintain moisture): raw honey mixed with extra fresh juice. Drizzle over the tops and add even more cacao nibs or chocolate chips if desired.