Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Banana Fig Truffles



Somehow I never buy the correct amount of bananas; I usually have one on the counter that I don't know what to save for--a baked good?  The husband's lunch?  Sliced with sunflower seed butter?  A smoothie?  And so on.  It's too much pressure.

Or, I end up somehow with about 10 bananas despite there just being the two of us.  (Well okay, Yogi and Zeke beg for bananas too, but it's not like I give them a whole one).  Then they slowly turn brown (the bananas), and make me feel guilty every time I see the bunch(es).  I think "Oh, I should make something with those" until they start to gross me out with their creepy spots and I end up just tossing them in the freezer to deal with later. 



Long story short, I made this recipe because I had half a banana and didn't know what to do with it.  Yes, I'm that weird--I can't eat a banana plain.  Hide it under sunflower seed butter and slather it with rice chocolate?  Mash it with warm quinoa and cinnamon? You bet!  But a plain bite of banana?  Yuck.  So in these little truffles, the banana lends texture and sweetness without being overwhelmingly banana-y.  You know what I mean.


Banana Fig Truffles

Yields 15-20 little truffles

Ingredients:

1/2 banana
8 dates
5 figs
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup sunflower seeds
1-2 TBSP pea protein powder (or protein powder of choice)
optional 2 TBSP mini rice chocolate chips


Directions:

1.  Food process ingredients, then roll them into little balls.  Chill for 20 minutes to firm.  If desired roll in topping of your choice before chilling.  Chia seeds, coconut flakes and matcha green tea are all phenomenal choices!



Here's a handy trick:  roll any truffle in chia seeds for a (crunchy) healthy kick.  Roll them in matcha green tea powder for a nice elegant look.  And coconut just because.



oh yes please! 

No comments:

Post a Comment