Monday, July 7, 2014

A Lemon Tree + Me

When I drove to Monterey from Eugene to look at potential homes to rent, I saved what turned out to be the winner for last.  I'm pretty sure I knew this had to be our house the moment I saw the backyard, and more specifically, the lemon tree. 


They might not be the prettiest, daintiest lemons, but they are imperfectly lovely
The yard was a necessity for our dogs, and the fruit trees were a necessity for me.  I'm pretty sure my husband has been loving the lemon-infused everything he has consumed over the last few days, though.  A fresh squeeze of the vibrant yellow fruit over our salad, a tart green juice with a huge citrus twist, and these lemon poppyseed chia waffles have all been recent favorites.  In addition to the lemon, we also have a plum tree, a ridiculous amount of mint and lavender and a lime tree, and a questionable dried-out orange tree and raspberry vine.  (The later of which I am extremely hopeful will pull through).

The lemon tree though, has already been a blessing.  As many of you vegans know, a dash of fresh lemon works great in baked goods that call for buttermilk or yogurt.  Mix a little fresh lemon into your nondairy milk and *voila!*  A perfect buttermilk to call your own.

So I told myself that I wouldn't post any more waffle photos since I only have the one waffle iron...that you can see is the fabulous Mickey Mouse.  But this recipe is that good.  I am willing to suffer the embarrassment of being an almost 28-year old (gulp) woman that only owns a Disney waffle iron.  But try to have a bad morning while eating a Mickey Mouse waffle--it simply can't be done.


This lemon poppy waffle was going to be just that-lemon poppy-but I was completely out of ingredients except for the ones listed below.  Though the chia seeds drank up the moisture like a sponge, with enough water and fresh lemon, you can develop the ideal texture of crisp on the outside and soft on the inside, but without too much of the chewiness that a gluten-free dough sometimes yields.  The best part?  This waffle is perfect as is.  The lemon flavor and slight sweetness of the maple and creaminess of the nondairy yogurt begs to be savored.  Do not dare top this waffle with syrup!  Don't. You. Dare.


Lemon Poppyseed Chia Waffles
yields 4 waffles

Ingredients:

1 cup gluten-free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1 tablespoon pea protein powder (optional)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup chia seeds soaked in 1 cup water
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup plain coconut yogurt
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
juice and zest of one whole lemon
1 teaspoon poppyseeds


Directions:

1.  Mix chia seeds and water into a bowl, stir and set aside to let thicken.  Extra lemon juice can be used for a stronger flavor (just omit part of the water).
2.  Add all wet ingredients together, and stir wet into dry.  
3.  Batter should be pretty thick.  Drop onto a greased waffle iron and cook until it stops steaming/is golden brown.  Enjoy warm!






No comments:

Post a Comment