Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Natural Cold Remedies: Get Back to Health!

It's not a healthy dessert recipe up here today (sigh) but rather a couple little simple recipes to expedite your healing if you have a cold, the flu, or are experiencing allergies or asthma symptoms.  (AKA I'm sick, so don't feel like baking).

When I was a child, I had to breathe into a machine to help my asthma, making me sound like Darth Vader and subsequently annoy all my siblings.  I absolutely hated it.  My dad told me over and over again that if I was healthy and ate well and exercised, I would likely get over my asthma.  As a Navy SEAL Corpsman, he knew a lot about health and medicine, but he also garnered a lot of information on his own due to a high interest in the medical field.

Well, as with many things in life, my father proved to be correct.  I run, swim, practice yoga--you name it, I love to do it!  (Well except hiking.  It's like boring slow-motion running to me).  My asthma is rarely present unless I get a cold, which often moves into my chest and produces lovely symptoms like wheezing, gasping and a nice tightness that feels like something is sitting on my chest.  Lovely.

I hate taking medication, and turn to my inhaler as a last result.  (By the way, I think it goes without saying I'm not a doctor, so don't treat yourself based off this post). I AM, however getting my Sports Nutrition certification, and learning more about healing food and nutrition along the way.  I believe in the power of healing and healthy foods, and I want to share what makes me feel a little better.



Step 1: Mix apple cider vinegar (2 tablespoons) into water.  Drink up!  You can add a little juice to mask the taste but honestly, I don't mind it.




Step 2: Follow with homemade honey-ginger-lemon brew:  In a teacup mix fresh grated ginger (as much as you can stand), fresh lemon juice and a heaping tablespoon of local raw honey.  Add hot water and stir.  Repeat as much as you'd like.

What do these ingredients do?  Apple cider vinegar helps with immune functions and has antibacterial properties which hep a heal a sore throat.  The raw honey is a huge help to sore or raw throats, has antiseptic and antibacterial properties and seems to lessen my cough.  Ginger is anti-inflammatory and great for sinus issues, digestive issues, and a natural pain relief.  Lemon is high in vitamin C--it boosts the immune system and helps with asthma as well.

Give it a shot if you're feeling under the weather, and let me know if it works for you!

when all else fails...just do this



No comments:

Post a Comment