Saturday, July 4, 2015

Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Fluffy Pancakes

coconut yogurt fluffy pancakes

gluten-free dairy free fruit pancakes


Happy Independence Day!  Sleeping in and pancakes seemed like the perfect start to a holiday Saturday, and so, my newest recipe was born.

I usually don't like pancakes very much; I usually pull out the waffle iron instead.  I often make the mistake of making my pancakes or waffles "too healthy" too.  I'm known for attempting little too no flour, and many times have screwed up batters by adding too much chia seeds or pumpkin and I end up with a healthy but soggy or gummy breakfast.  So basically, I do not claim to be a pancake expert beyond my simple banana and egg protein pancakes.

This morning though, I woke up craving pancakes.  I wanted the decadent, restaurant style fluffy pancakes I vaguely remember having when I was young (and didn't know yet why I felt sick all the time.  Yup, turns out no gluten or dairy for me!)  So when my husband eagerly said "yes!" when I asked if he felt like pancakes, I decided to forgo my usual habit of sneaking in as healthy ingredients as I can, and instead looking for a simply airy and fluffy pancake that we both would enjoy.

I took inspiration from this blog and tinkered it to my tastes and thus, the best. pancake. I've. ever. had.  Read below to make your own easy perfect-texture fluffy pancake.  Enjoy, and let me know what you think.  I'm pretty sure I ate twice as many as my husband and I still feel great.  And so happy.  I think the perfect pancake will do that to you.  Now for a bike ride and short run!  Happy 4th of July, friends!!



Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Fluffy Pancakes
Yields 10-12 pancakes

Ingredients:

3/4 cup coconut greek yogurt (I used So Delicious; any type of greek yogurt should be great)
3 eggs
1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut or almond milk
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons oat flour*
1 tablespoon coconut flour
2 tablespoons brown rice flour
2-1/2 tablespoons granulated honey or palm sugar**
3/4 teaspoon baking soda

Directions:

1.  Whisk yogurt, eggs, vanilla and milk well.
2.  Stir in remaining dry ingredients.
3.  Heat pan on stovetop on medium and spritz with avocado oil or coconut oil.
4.   Spoon about 1/4 to 1/3 cup batter for each pancake onto pan.  Cook until set and flip, about 4 minutes on the first side, 2 on the other, or until set and lightly brown.

easy gluten-free pancakes


5.  Serve plain or with additional honey or yogurt and fresh fruit if desired.

gluten-free pancakes


Tips:
*Grind oats until fine in a coffee bean grinder or food processor for inexpensive oat flour; be sure to use gluten-free oats for a gluten-free pancake.
**You may use regular honey or maple syrup instead of granulated honey or sugar; just reduce the nondairy milk to 2 tablespoons.
If your batter is a little thick, add a little nondairy milk until the desired consistency is reached.

perfect fluffy pancakes
Add caption



No comments:

Post a Comment