Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Vegan Gluten-Free Brookies (Brownie-Cookies!)

gluten-free vegan brownie cookies


Oh my.  These are my latest obsession, and I could easily eat all of them myself in just a couple days.  The first time I made them I forced my husband to eat two so that I wouldn't eat them all.  Since then, I've made them when I've had company (my mother came to help out with our twins first, then my twin sister and her husband arrived--my lifesavers!!)  They all loved them, even though none of my family is gluten-free or vegan.

Actually, the fact that I have baby help right now is the only reason I have the time to bake these yummy things and write this post.  So, yes, having a twin has many perks including helping you when you have your own apparently.  I may post more about my twin birth story, so check back for that if you're curious about what it's like to have premature twins or are expecting twins yourself.  They are now 3 weeks old and it's hard but rewarding, and definitely makes a difference when I have time to pop out for a walk or get to bake something tasty.

Sometimes I loosely base recipes off ones I find online, and this recipe was inspired by this Brookie recipe by Jana of Nutritionicity.  My recipe is actually pretty close to hers and I have to say a big thank you to her for making what I didn't realize was my dream dessert.  Here's my version and feel free to get creative--the second time I made them, I added pumpkin to the brownie layer and reduced the oil, and it was even healthier, and very tasty.

healthy brookie recipe

Brookies
yields 8" pan (12-16 pieces)

Cookie layer ingredients:
1/2 cup almond flour
1 cup gluten-free oats
1/2 cup gluten-free oat flour
2 teaspoon maca
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup nondairy chocolate chips
2 TBSP sunflower seed or nut butter
2 TBSP coconut oil
2 TBSP maple syrup
1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
up to 1/4 cup water as needed


Brownie layer:
1/4 cup + 1 TBSP almond flour
1/3 cup gluten-free oat flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
sprinkle sea salt
3 TBSP coconut milk or almond milk
1/2 TBSP vanilla extract
2 TBSP maple syurp
2-1/2 TBSP coconut oil, melted

Directions:

1.  Grease a 8" pan with coconut oil or line with parchment.
2.  Mix the dry cookie ingredients together with the nondairy chips, then melt the oil and sunflower seed or nut butter together.  Whisk in vanilla and maple to the wet ingredients, then add to the dry, stirring well.  Add water if mixture is too dry.
3.  Press cookie mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
4.  For the brownies, combine the dry ingredients, then whisk in melted coconut oil.  Stir in remaining ingredients and spread mixture over the cookie layer.
5.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes, then let cool and set for 10 minutes and serve warm or cool.

gluten-free cookie brownie

alter eco brownies
For this batch, I used chopped up Alter Eco quinoa chocolate instead of chocolate chips.  Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment