Friday, March 14, 2014

Coffee Cocoa Muffins

Get ready for the best sweet muffin/dessert you've ever had.  For reals.  

I must admit the coffee liqueur is the key ingredient here, which I know, doesn't exactly seem to fit with most of my healthy/raw/vegan treats.  But it's worth it.

Somehow it makes this fluffy little cake melt in your mouth and the responses I've received have been "This is the best texture of any cake I've tasted" to the more eloquent "Holy shit that is a great cake".  I'll be honest though; I make a slightly better version, but alas that recipe is now part of my secret recipe collection unless of course I find a great recipe contest to enter it into.  But at any rate, read below for my recipe that comes in a very close second.  Enjoy!

 

Both the vegan buttermilk and the coffee work nicely in this recipe to yield a muffin that is not dry; rather, it almost dissolves in your mouth.  Basically, it's an edible mocha.  Who wouldn't love that?


Follow this recipe as is, or for more of a dessert, fold in mini nondairy chocolate chips or add a little more raw sugar.  Also, the optional glaze definitely sweetens it up.  When I made these for a friend, I used a coffee liqueur mixed with powdered sugar, but a simple powdered sugar-coffee-vanilla combo also works great.  Keep an eye out for powdered sugar without the dreaded added-cornstarch (almost all powdered sugar adds in a small percentage of corn), or make your own by using regular sugar in a high-powered food processor or blender.

Whether this is a decadent brunch muffin or late afternoon treat, you'll find the delicate coffee taste and cocoa combo quite delightful, I assure you.

Coffee Cocoa Muffins


Ingredients:


1 3/4 cups gluten-free flour 
1/2 cup nondairy butter (I used Earth Balance)
3/4 cup coconut palm sugar 

3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

2 eggs or 2 tablespoons flax meal mixed with 6 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup strong brewed coffee, cooled

1/2 cup espresso liqueur (I used espresso vodka)

Directions:

1.  Whip nondairy butter with coconut palm sugar.  Add cocoa powder in, beating well, followed by eggs or flax "eggs" if you choose the vegan option.
2.  Mix the coffee, liqueur and vanilla together. Separately mix the dry ingredients together.  Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl alternating with the liquid coffee mix.  Stir just until combined.
3.  Pour into lined muffin tins and bake at 350 degrees for 16-22 minutes.
4.  Optional glaze: peer up above.  Powdered sugar, coffee and vanilla to taste, or...coffee liquor.  Whoo!











No comments:

Post a Comment