Sunday, April 5, 2015

Quinoa Brownies


Quinoa Clean Eating Brownies

Clean Eating Allergen-Free Quinoa Brownies

Quinoa Brownies


Though I often invent my recipes on the fly, I must admit to finding a quinoa brownie recipe on Pinterest and then tinkering until I developed my own cleaner, healthier version of several recipes I found online so that I could enjoy a couple little squares while on my 21 Day Fix (no boring clean meals for this baker).
I love treats, and this quinoa brownie recipe satisfies my dessert cravings as well as my hunger.  Seriously, I ate some the other afternoon and was couldn't even eat dinner, which is usually a good thing for me, as portion control is my biggest struggle.  When my hunger is fully satisfied with a nutritious and filling treat, I couldn't be happier.  So hopefully you too get great satisfaction from this brownie recipe packed with protein (yes quinoa is a complete protein, hurrah!) and nutrient-rich quinoa.

Quinoa Brownies:
a soy-free nut-free dairy-free dessert
Yields 9 big brownies

Quinoa Brownie on Plate



Ingredients
1-1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1/3 cup raw cacao powder
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
2 chia "eggs" or real eggs
1/3 cup sunflower seed butter
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
sprinkling of nondairy chocolate chips, optional for topping

Directions
1.  Cook quinoa: cook about 3/4 cup quinoa with 1-1/2 cups water (you'll likely have a little extra) about 20 minutes on a stovetop, the last 15 minutes of which you'll cook it on low, simmering and stirring until water is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy.

 cooking quinoa


2.  Mix 2 TBSP ground chia seeds in 6 TBSP water if using chia "eggs" (omit this step if using regular eggs).  Preheat oven to 350F.
3.  Blend all ingredients in a food processor, saving 1/4 cup of quinoa to add last, pulsing just slightly to maintain a little texture, or puree until completely smooth if desired.
4.  Line a 8" or 9" square pan with parchment paper and spritz with coconut oil.  Pour batter in and if desired, sprinkle 2 TBSP of nondairy chocolate chips on.

Quinoa Brownie Batter


5.  Bake for 38-42 min or until an inserted toothpick comes out pretty clean.  Let cool 10 min on a wire rack before cutting into 9 to 12 squares.  Store covered, chilled.

Quinoa Brownie, chilling

amazing quinoa brownie squares

No comments:

Post a Comment