Friday, May 31, 2013

Cinnamon Citrus Seed Cookies--raw, simple and filling.


Yesterday I learned the secrets behind my fave cookie at a well known natural and organic grocery store in my area at part one of two of my work day.  Too often it is my treat of choice post SPX Pilates three-class teaching spree, or my reward after a long run.  Or short run, really.  Learning the true recipe inspired me to create my own healthier version sans tons of orange juice and walnuts, to which my body refuses to accept as food.

These taste especially good after baking from 5am-10:30am then running just under 6 miles then teaching three back to back Pilates classes.  For reals.  I might have to enjoy more tonight after insane day of work round two!

My version is less sweet but just as filling and chock full of those little sesame seeds that provide oh so many minerals and antioxidants.


Cinnamon Citrus Seed Cookies 

Ingredients: 

1 cup almonds 
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1 cup sunflower seeds

1/2 cup apricots, soaked in hot water for several moments
6 medjool dates
1/4 cup raisins (or even better, apple-juice sweetened cranberries--oh-my-gosh-yum)

1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed juice of an orange
1 teaspoon orange zest

optional: 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds for garnish



Directions:

Food process seeds and nuts, then add in moist apricots, dates and raisins.  While processing pour in half cup of the hot apricot water ("apricot water" referring to the water the apricots were soaking in).

Dump contents into bowl, and stir in cinnamon, vanilla, fresh squeezed juice and zest.

Use an ice-cream scoop to create a level packed scoop of raw cookie dough.  Leave plain or roll little haystack-shaped dough in the toasted sesame seeds.

Yields 12 giant raw cookies.  And the best part is, they can be enjoyed any part of the day!  Don't tell the husband....but I ate avocado grapefruit kale salad and a few of these for dinner last night. Yum!

Also, you do have the choice to throw in a few more dates, or maybe even get wild and toss in nondairy chocolate chips if you need more of a "dessert" cookie.  Well...want, not need I guess.

A just because, he is just too cool not to share:







No comments:

Post a Comment