Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Vanilla Bean Cake

 

And no, this is not just a healthy cake with vanilla beans...it's a healthy cake with bean beans.  Organic Great Northern Beans in this one, specifically.  I'm still scared to play around with a disastrous attempt at chickpea cookies, so I opted for the subtle white bean.

As I've been sick on and off for months and waiting to get results back on some tests to determine if I have a thyroid issue, I decided I may as well try and get a head start just in case.  Though I eat super healthy as is, when I researched online foods to eat for hypothyroidism, I learned I needed to cut back on a few of the things I consume frequently, like sweet potatoes and kale.  I'm upping my protein without as much starch or flours, even gluten-free.  So while not raw, this recipe satisfies my sweet tooth, need for protein and lack of flour of any kind.




Yields about 9 squares in an 8x8 dish.  Recipe can easily double to serve more



Vanilla Bean Cake

Ingredients:

1 can (about 1 and  1/2 cup) Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon maca powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder like Hains (I love this kind because it is gluten-free and corn-free)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda 
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
3 large organic free range eggs
1/2 cup raw honey

Directions:

1. In food processor, puree beans until smooth.  Add in other ingredients until combined, and then pour into a 8x8" greased pan (I opted for coconut oil; another good metabolism-boosting food).
2.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-38 min or until middle doesn't jiggle a bunch.  Let cool on wire rack for one hour.

Will look something like this:


3.  Invert onto cookie sheet or pan, and drizzle or frosting with optional frosting:  coconut oil and spread blended with raw honey or organic powdered sugar, with vanilla to taste.  It is sweet and moist as is...unless it's standing in for a birthday cake, enjoy it plain!

Honey tip:  my friend Lindsay, a health and fitness fan as well, suggests using raw honey that is local to help with allergies, too--bonus!  Not only will you support local business, it could keep those springtime sniffles at bay.




I got this idea from several different recipes I found online, and combined them and tweaked them a bit to custom create this one.  I loved the moist richness and it literally melts in your mouth (the main ingredient is a bean, after all).  I could probably eat this at any meal....

No comments:

Post a Comment