Saturday, July 27, 2013

Breakfast & Dutch Bros.





I have a confession to make: I am obsessed with coconut milk lattes, and through careful research and taste testing, I have determined Dutch Bros., the drive-thru espresso stand with Oregon roots, makes the absolute best.  So much so in fact, I dream of opening my own.  Whenever I'm in Eugene, the time seems to fly by with way too many caffeine-infused runs and bike rides along the Willamette River.

This morning I enjoyed the smooth taste of a coconut milk latte along with a raw breakfast bar.  Wrapped in wax paper, it makes the perfect portable snack, and I was able to bike to a stand near my house to indulge in my latte and treat while writing away on my second novel.

This recipe yields about 5 medium bars, and is a great breakfast or mid-morning snack.

Quick Date Oat Bars

Ingredients:

5 organic Medjool dates, pitted
1/2 cup quick-cooking gluten-free oats
1/2 cup raw organic almonds
1 tablespoon ground chia seeds
1 tablespoon protein powder (I used hemp protein, completely plant based)
2 tablespoons sunflower seed butter
2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk


Directions:

1.  Like all my quick, raw treats:  Food-process the ingredients together, adding a tablespoon of water or so if needed.  Pulse just until ingredients come together in a ball, stopping in between pulses to scrape down the sides of the processor if necessary.

2.  Between two sheets of wax paper, roll out the dough, cut into desired-size bars and make little wax paper packets to hold the bars if desired.  You can also just roll the dough into little balls for an easy cookie.

3.  Pair with your favorite beverage; maybe a cup of steaming green tea or if you're lucky, a coconut milk latte.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment