Monday, July 22, 2013

The best kind of birthday cake


My neighbors made me this glorious cake (my friend's sweet daughter exclaimed "now that's a real fruitcake!" awww) for my 27th birthday.  I immediately assumed this was a Pinterest-inspired creation, but no, she invented it with pure creativity, and a lot of toothpicks.


A pleasant surprise!  I also contributed a few raw cookies to the party, both rice chocolate sunflower coconut balls, and a healthier spirulina-banana concoction.  Here's the recipe for the latter (I made them both on the fly without really paying attention, so maybe I'll recreate the rice choc ones later and divulge that recipe at some point).


celebrating a birthday Eugene-style


Spirulina Banana Cookie Recipe:

1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup shredded reduced fat unsweetened coconut
splash of vanilla extract
1-2 teaspoons spirulina
1/2 banana
1/2 to 3/4 cup dehydrated banana slices (unsweetened, only with organic lemon juice added to retain moisture--available at some Costcos and health food stores, or make your own)

1.  Food process seeds, then add remaining ingredients, adding a little water if necessary to help it come together.  Optional: roll in flaked coconut or sesame seeds for texture

No comments:

Post a Comment