Tuesday, October 8, 2013

My new favorite meal: Pear Frittata

  

Growing up, my family enjoyed pear frittata whenever the pear tree in the lot behind our house hung heavy with the ripe pears.  I believe they were of the Barlett variety: the kind that go from green to a pale yellow, and taste incredible straight from the tree.  When we had too many to eat at once, or they began to go soft, my mom would whip up pear frittata, one of the best breakfasts or dessert I remember ever having.

Her version was pretty healthy but had a little butter and sugar, and now that I'm making my own, I've found a little variation, omitting the butter and sugar, adding a tiny bit of coconut oil to brown the pears, and adding a generous dash of cinnamon for more flavor.  This recipe below is absolutely incredible, and is a fab brunch dish, and best of all, is made in under 20 minutes.  Next time I make it, I planning on using all or half egg whites for an even lighter version.

 

Sorry my vegan friends--I too used to abhor the idea of consuming eggs, but they have begun to become a staple in my diet (when I refuse to eat meat and cannot eat soy, corn, gluten, dairy, flax, nuts or most processed foods that have been made in the same facilities as the aforementioned allergens, I can get a little bored with the veggie-bean-fruit-seed diet that is my daily routine).  Plus despite my love for chia "eggs", the texture that egg whites provide are hard to replicate and the lean protein of a couple egg whites is hard to beat.  So maybe skip this recipe if you do not eat eggs--I don't think a chia frittata or flaxmeal frittata could suffice.

Pear Frittata
 yields 6 wedges




Ingredients:

1 tablespoon coconut oil
6 eggs (feel free to do 3 eggs and 5 egg whites)
3 pears, peeled and diced into thin 1/2" slices
1-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (or several healthy dashes)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla coconut milk
2 tablespoons coconut flour
1 tablespoon garbanazo bean flour
1 tablespoon brown rice flour


Directions:

1.  In a bowl, whisk eggs, vanilla, nondairy milk and flour; set aside.
2.  Turn oven on to 425 and let heat up as you cook the pears. Heat coconut oil in a large oven-safe skillet.  Add peeled and diced pears and cook 7-8 minutes until browned and soft, sprinkling cinnamon directly onto the pears.

3.  Add egg mixture to skillet, pouring over the pears and put the skillet in the oven, baking for 10-12 minutes.  Let cool a few moments on a wire rack, cut a large wedge and be amazed.



*flour options: regular Bob's Red Mill gluten-free flour also tastes phenomenal, or use your own blend of fave gluten-free flours.  Even partial almond meal should work fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment