Sunday, February 2, 2014

Oatmeal Espresso Cookies

I woke up today after a solid nine hours of sleep, with my puppy nestled in at my hip and my 80 lb golden-doodle across my feet (when Dad's away, they get spoiled).  Anyways, the point is, I was fully rested and enjoyed a little tea with breakfast and a leisurely jog with a friend when I realized should probably skip my coconut latte today, that has somehow merged from once a week treat to an almost daily necessity.  I figured why not enjoy a nice caffeine free day, when I am off work and fueled by plenty of sleep and healthy food.

An hour ago, I found myself craving a coconut milk latte, so decided to consume a bit of caffeine via a health-ish cookie.  I developed a great Espresso Oat Cookie recipe a few years ago, one that I like to add cinnamon and chia to.  But since that recipe is buried amongst a pile of recipes somewhere in a box downstairs, I figured I'd would just invent one on the fly, because rice chocolate chips and coffee sounds good now.

The good news is, they are super fast to make and bake.  And there is actually no bad news with these.
Enjoy!


Oatmeal Espresso Cookies

Ingredients:
1-1/2 cup gluten-free oats, ground pretty fine
1/2 cup bob's red mill all purpose gluten-free flour or almond meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
2 tablespoons espresso grounds
1/2 banana
1/4 cup applesauce
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1/4 cup unsweeetened coconut milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 to 1/3 cup mini nondairy chocolate chips
2 eggs

Directions:
1.  Food-process/grind oatmeal until pretty fine or use quick-cooking oats to save time.
2.  Place all dry ingredients in a bowl.
3.  Mash banana, and mix with applesauce, syrup, nondairy milk, and vanilla.
4.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry, stirring until combined.

 
Add nondairy chocolate chips.

5.  Bake for 350 for 9-11 minutes on a lined cookie sheet. 





No comments:

Post a Comment