Friday, February 7, 2014

The Pumpkin Powerballs...So Delicious!

 

This super fast healthy treat recipe is an entry in the 5 Minutes or Less Category for the So Delicious 3 Course Recipe Contest: The Fast and Fresh Dairy-Free Time Trials contest, timed nicely to coincide with the Winter Olympics.  I'd like to think Olympic-caliber athletes as well as the rest of us non-competitive athletes would find these raw pumpkin treats energy-fueling as well as delicious.  For those of you that regularly read my blog, you'll notice So Delicious (specifically the unsweetened vanilla coconut milk) is always my brand of choice for nondairy milk; I really can't say enough good things about that particular beverage.




Anyways, remember when I was on a pumpkin spree and I made pumpkin everything?  Well, it's been awhile since I went pumpkin crazy and I found a can of organic pumpkin puree in the cupboards soo...here it goes!  My orange and nutrient-filled snacks: pumpkin powerballs.

I remember when a childhood friend used to be obsessed with orange.  I could never fathom why orange was her favorite color when there were so many other lovelier hues to choose from: blue, green, pink..you know, like every color but orange.  She may have been on to something, though: there's nothing like a bright burst of orange on a dark rainy or snowed-in day to cheer you up.  And when it comes in the form of a delicious raw cookie; well, that's hard to beat.

Pumpkin Powerballs
yields 2 dozen little raw cookies

Ingredients:

1 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup gluten-free oats
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
4 medjool dates, pitted
2 tablespoons unsweetened sunflower seed butter
1/4 cup So Delicious Unsweetened Vanilla Coconut Milk
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
2 to 4 tablespoons mini nondairy rice chocolate chips (optional)

Directions:
1.  Food-process seeds and oats until fine (using a food processor or high-speed blender).
2.  Add the additional ingredients, adding chocolate chips (if using) last.
2.  Pulse until mixture forms one big dough ball; divide into 24 to 30 little balls and enjoy immediately or chill in the refrigerator to firm up more.



No comments:

Post a Comment