Thursday, February 6, 2014

Pumpkin Date Muffins


 

Conversation with my mom the other day:

Mom: "I bought a bunch of dates at Costco"
Me: "Oh great, I love to use dates when I bake"
Mom:  (as if she's talking to herself) "I really don't like dates"
Me: "Oh, I bet I can make something you like with them"
Mom: (interrupting my last sentence and continuing on) "I mean, they are actually kind of gross.  I think it's the texture.  I don't even know why I got them"
Me: "Then why'd you buy--"
Mom: "--I don't know why I even bought them.  I don't think I like dates"

For some reason, this conversation entertained me immensely, mostly because my mother seemed to be totally perplexed on how she ended up with dates, and didn't really seem to actually want to hear my suggestions ;)

So, the Pumpkin Date muffins were born.  She's currently at work, and I am whipping up these in an attempt to impress her with a healthy, filling Pumpkin Date muffin.  Hopefully the fact that it is currently snowing and that she will be freezing and hungry after her walk home will work in my favor.

Linda's Pumpkin Date Muffins
yields 14-16 muffins

Ingredients:

1-1/2 cups gluten-free all purpose flour
1/4 cup quinoa flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
2 eggs
1 heaping cup pumpkin puree
2/3 cup finely shredded carrots
1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
3 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 small banana, mashed

Directions:
 
1.  Grease muffin tin with coconut oil.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2.  Mash banana very well. Whisk with eggs, pumpkin, melted oil and sugar.  Add in very finely grated carrots.

3.  Add dry ingredients to the wet onces, mixing just until combined.  Fill muffin tins 7/8 full and bake for 17-20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment