Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Cacao Date Truffles







These are inspired by a pinterest recipe I found, with my own spin on it (of course).  This is a gluten-free, raw and easy recipe that takes a food processor and about five minutes.  I absolutely adore this recipe; sweetened only with dates, it's the perfect harmony of sweet, filling and a nice smooth texture from the finely ground ingredients.  Containing no nuts, it's suitable for almost any diet or aversion to those ingredients like soy, dairy and corn that so may of us are sensitive to.  Roll them in additional cacao powder for that truffly look (truffly=like a truffle.  I may have made that word up, but clearly it makes sense).

My husband, trying it shortly after his return from Afghanistan, commented "I can tell it's healthy" but he has also been away from my healthy desserts for awhile and relying on too much processed food.  It might not trick you into thinking you're eating chocolate cake, but I guarantee it is more satisfying and nutritious, and I firmly believe it is delicious.  I'll have to get more taste-tester approval to prove it ;)

Cacao Date Truffles

Ingredients:

1 cup gluten-free oats
1 cup dates, finely chopped
1/2 cup sunflower seed butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2-3 tablespoons filtered water
2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
optional: additional 1-2 tablespoons for garnish

Directions:

1.  Place gluten-free oats in a food processor and grind until fine.
2.  Chop medjool dates into small pieces, and add to processor along with remaining ingredients.
3.  While mixing add water, 1 tablespoon at a time until ingredients come together in one ball.
4.  Divide into little balls, rolling in additional dusting of cacao powder for more of the truffle look.  Can be consumed immediately or for a little firmer texture, chill 30 min-1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment