Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies: Filling and Delicious

So when I first started baking healthy, I didn't quite understand substitutions.  I also didn't have a food processor, and I can't remember the details, but chunky garbanzo beans may have been the reason my first ever garbanzo bean cookies were horrific, and my brother Colin still gives me grief about them to this day.

That may explain why though I've come across several recipes for garbanzo bean desserts, I've been hesitant to try it again.  After I made the yummiest cake the other day with beans  (see my vanilla bean cake here), I re-considered beans as a staple in my desserts.  Protein plus low carbs sounded like a good addition to some of my gluten-free treats (not to mention metabolism booster), so I went for it.  And it resulted in some very filling and hard-to-resist garbanzo, or, Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies, which sounds way better.  (Side note: omit the rice chocolate chips for a soft, less sweet, melt-in-your-mouth cookie).

So here you go little brother...even you will like these!

Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yields about 14

Ingredients:

1 can chickpeas/garbanzo beans, rinsed (about 1-1/4 cups)
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup sunflower seed butter
1/4 cup honey (3 tablespoons will make it less sweet)
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons filtered water
1/3 cup nondairy rice chocolate chips
1-2 tablespoons protein powder (optional, I used plant based)

Directions:
1.  For best results, "skin" beans--rinse them under hot water and gently rub off the translucent skin.  Super time consuming, but will help the beans disguise themselves into your delicious little cookies.

See the little clear skins?  Gently rub them off.   Oddly relaxing task.

2.  Puree beans in the food processor, add all ingredients except nondairy choc chips.  (Fold those in last)
organic chickpeas and rice chocolate chips--who knew??
3.  Spoon little mounds onto cookie sheets, and bake about 10-12 min until fuffy and not gooey.  Let cool a couple min and enjoy!





So soft, so fluffy, so unexpected!





No comments:

Post a Comment