Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Craving a peanut butter cookie? Try my energy-packed raw sunflower seed cookies!

This morning I was awakened by a muffled bark.  I got out of bed to throw on clothes to take the dogs out, assuming they were reminding me they had to pee.  When I opened the door to my closet, I shrieked in surprise at our one year old golden-doodle, who was curled up in a tangle of my clothes and shoes. 

As soon as the hubby left the house just before six, he had flattened his body and slid underneath the baby gate that keeps the dogs out of the upstairs. (he has definitely accomplished this before).  He then leaned against the not-fully-shut bedroom door, gaining access.  He then found his way into the closet, where the door shut on him (it slowly shuts on its own accord).  Having discovered himself in a LITTLE ROOM THAT SMELLS LIKE MOM, YAY!!!, he created a little nest of my things and curled up as I slept, oblivious.  Only the need to relieve himself prompted him to call out, for which I am very grateful.  My morning could have begun dramatically worse.


Anyway, I proceeded to have a pretty good morning, and thereby decided to offer my advice for a great productive start to your next day off.  Steps to enjoy your day off:

1. Take a long walk, preferably in the sunshine, preferably with both a small and giant goldendoodle for several miles.
2.  Read a library book curled up with said dogs for 30-45 minutes. 
3.  Make raw sunflower seed protein cookies to trick yourself into thinking you get to eat cookies for breakfast, yay!
4.  Sweep, vacuum, and enjoy a little jog or if you're like me, head to take the hubby's car into the shop with the hopes of browsing TJ Maxx for discounted pretty mismatched plates and saucers after.  And it's not even noon!


For those of you that are thinking "Okay, I totally just want the recipe", well then jeez, here you go!


Raw Sunflower Seed Cookies

Yields about 12 medium cookies

Ingredients:
1 -1/2 teaspoons coconut oil (not melted)
1/4 cup sunflower seed butter
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (my fave brand here)
2 tablespoons power meal**
1 tablespoon vanilla
2-4 tablespoons filtered water, as needed.
4 or 5 medjool dates

Direction:
1.  Food process all together.  Add a little filtered water as needed, stop processor when it comes together.
2.  Divide into about 12-14 little balls, flatten, and use a fork to create that little criss cross found on so many of those fatty fat peanut butter cookies.
3.  Eat a few, take your energy-filled self outside and enjoy the day!





You can usually find these in your local grocery store, or at least health store.  In the Southern Cal-area, check out Sprouts or Jimbo's.


** I sometimes call almond meal and chia meal "power meal".  Made by grinding almonds and chia seeds respectively). You can use just ground up chia seeds or just almond flour if desired.  Basically ground up almonds=almond meal=almond flour.  All the same thing.  Or, if you're like "I don't have time to grind up all that", just toss whole chia seeds in, it'll do.  Don't have chia seeds?  Would you like to be healthier and have more energy?  Go buy some.


No comments:

Post a Comment