Sunday, June 30, 2013

Sunbean Cookies




my kitchen...you know, the usual: raw cookies, maybe a yam or two rolling around, and the pink teakettle, always ready to go.

Did you think I said "Sunbeam"?  Gotcha!  Dessert made again with...beans!

Occasionally I feel the impulse to eat sweets; you know---that dreaded late afternoon sugar craving.  Rather than immediately undo my four mile hill run, I settled for my secret trick: making a small batch of raw cookies.  Once I have the cookies made, the dishes and processor sparkling clean (and often, have finishing photographing my treats), I usually find my craving has subsided some, and I'm able to enjoy several small portions of my "desserts" without going overboard.  It helps to have a husband constantly wandering through the kitchen eating whatever is out on the counter, too.  Of course, I've eaten too many in one go on occasion, but at least the ingredients are healthy, and won't undo your diet.

Here's a super fast, easy bean cookie, that is full of sunflower seeds, white northern beans and almond flour with a slightly sweet raw honey finish.  Yields about a dozen cookies, depending on the size.

Sunbean Cookies

Ingredients:

1/4 cup white northern beans, rinsed and drained
3 tablespoons local raw honey
dash Himalayan Sea Salt
1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup almond flour (or finely ground almonds...same thing)
3/4 cup raw sunflower seeds

Directions:

Food process beans, sea salt and honey, scraping down the sides until smooth.
Add in vanilla, cinnamon and almond flour and sunflower seeds, processing until combined.
Divide into little balls; enjoy immediately or chill to keep.

add a little raw sunflower seed garnish for additional appeal


speaking of "sunbeams"...fruit gift basket arriving yesterday to celebrate the husband's promotion to Captain tomorrow.  Thanks to the in-laws, we feasted on fresh fruit all day!

No comments:

Post a Comment